Tyne Daly Nominated for 2015 Drama League Award
Alumna Tyne Daly, Broadway and small-screen legend, has been nominated for a Distinguished Performance Award at the 81st Annual Drama League Awards on May 15, 2015. One winner is selected in this category, and it can be won only once by a performer in his/her professional career. Previous recipients include Kathleen Chalfant, Stockard Channing, Glenn Close, Rosemary Harris, Hugh Jackman, Cherry Jones, James Earl Jones, Nathan Lane and John Lithgow.
Daly, most widely known for her starring roles in the television shows “Cagney and Lacey” and “Judging Amy,” has also enjoyed critical acclaim on the Broadway stage in Gypsy (Tony Award), Master Class and last year’s Mothers and Sons (Tony Award nomination), to name a few. In his review of Mothers and Sons, Ben Brantley of the New York Times wrote that “Ms. Daly … again proves herself one of our most formidable stage actresses.”
This year, the Drama League nominated Daly for her role as Judy Steinberg in the ongoing Broadway production of It Shoulda Been You, currently playing at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.
Tyne Daly's Previous Awards:
- Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical for Gypsy in 1990
- Four Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for “Cagney & Lacey” in 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1988
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama for “Christy” in 1996
- OFTA TV Hall of Fame Award in 2006
- TV Guide Award for Supporting Actress of the Year in a Drama Series for “Judging Amy” in 2001
- Outer Critics Circle Award for Best Actress in a Musical for Gypsy in 1990
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical for Gypsy in 1990
- Viewers for Quality Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Quality Drama Series for “Judging Amy” in 2000
- Star on the Walk of Fame in 1995
- Women in Film “Lucy Award” in 2002