Professional, career-based Degree in Musical Theatre, Acting, and Dance.
- Offered on the Los Angeles Campus
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 1.5 years
- Access to a Variety of Workshop and Performance Opportunities
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production in Los Angeles
Program Description +−
The AOS Musical Theatre Degree Program offers interdisciplinary arts training for the emerging musical theatre performer. With a balanced emphasis on music, acting, and dance, this curriculum integrates course work, including musical theatre styles, vocal techniques, scene study, and dance styles such as ballet, tap, and jazz. The program nurtures professional rehearsal and performance principles requiring commitment, teamwork, and collaboration within diverse creative processes. Audition technique and career preparation courses help prepare students to pursue work in the uniquely demanding and fulfilling performing arts industry. The AOS Degree Program is enriched with various performance opportunities offered throughout the four terms of study. AOS Musical Theatre students, as part of their program completion and career launch strategy, will also perform in a special culminating showcase.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the AOS Musical Theatre program should be able to:
- Create convincing, compelling characters performed with vocal, physical, and emotional specificity.
- Perform a variety of musical styles with a synthesis of acting, singing, and movement skills.
- Present a professional audition music portfolio, containing historical and contemporary styles, and a variety of music theatre sub-genres.
- Utilize healthy vocal techniques.
- Demonstrate competency in musicianship, keyboarding, and aural skills.
- Perform harmonies based on professional ensemble work.
- Identify historical and cultural dimensions of music theatre, including the works of leading musical librettists, lyricists, and composers.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.