Undergraduate Degree in Musical Theatre, Acting, and Dance.
- Offered on the Los Angeles Campus (See Integrated Certificate to BFA for NY Campus Option)
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 2.5 years
- Access to AMDA’s Mainstage Production Opportunities
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production in Los Angeles
Program Description +−
The BFA Music Theatre Degree Program offers an essential blend of music, acting, and dance training for the aspiring Music Theatre artist. This immersive performance-based degree program provides the tools necessary for a career in contemporary musical theatre performance blended with a dynamic range of academic studies resulting in a well-rounded and vibrant theatre arts education. Fundamental curriculum includes individual voice instruction, piano, and sight-singing to help establish a strong musical foundation. AMDA’s clearly defined approach to vocal performance emphasizes a genuine union of music to lyrics, allowing students to explore a variety of genres that include Classical, Contemporary, Jazz, Blues, Pop, etc. Acting techniques, scene study, acting for the camera, music for the individual artist, and voice production and speech courses provide essential skills necessary for creating transcendent performances on stage, screen, and in the recording studio. AMDA’s BFA Music Theatre Degree Program provides access to numerous production and performance opportunities throughout the eight terms of study. With an eye towards the current competitive demands of the industry, courses in career preparation, networking, audition techniques, and entrepreneurship help prepare for the exciting transition into the professional performing arts industry. The final term includes an original showcase opportunity that provides a unique production experience built upon the strengths of each performer.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the BFA Music Theatre program should be able to:
- Create convincing, compelling characters performed with vocal, physical, and emotional specificity.
- Perform a variety of musical styles with a synthesis of acting, singing, and movement skills.
- Present a professional audition music portfolio, containing historical and contemporary styles, and a variety of music theatre sub-genres.
- Utilize healthy vocal techniques.
- Demonstrate competency in musicianship, keyboarding, and aural skills.
- Perform harmonies based on professional ensemble work.
- Identify historical and cultural dimensions of music theatre, including the works of leading musical librettists, lyricists, and composers.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.