Undergraduate Degree in Musical Theatre, Acting, and Dance.
- Now Accepting Applications for Summer 2024
- Offered Fully Online, with Option to Transfer to In-Person BFA in Music Theatre Program in Los Angeles
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 2.5 years
- Access to AMDA’s Digital Production Opportunities
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production
- For AMDA Certificate/AOS graduates interested in the BFA Online programs, visit our Acting and Music Theatre program pages for our alumni.
Program Description +−
The Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Music Theatre (Online) program offers an essential blend of music, acting and dance training for aspiring theatre artists
and vocalists. This immersive, online program provides the tools necessary for a career in contemporary musical performance. AMDA’s clearly defined approach to vocal performance encourages a genuine union of music and lyrics that students can apply to a variety of genres such as classical, contemporary, jazz, blues, pop, etc. Fundamental curriculum for AMDA’s online Music Theatre degree includes individual voice instruction, piano and sightsinging to help establish a strong musical foundation. Companion courses in acting techniques, scene study, acting for the camera, music for the individual artist and voice production and speech provide essential skills necessary for creating transcendent performances on stage, screen and in the recording studio.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the BFA Music Theatre program should be able to:
- Create convincing, compelling characters performed with vocal, physical and emotional specificity.
- Perform a variety of musical styles with a synthesis of acting, singing and movement skills.
- Present a professional audition music portfolio, containing historical and contemporary styles and a variety of musical theatre subgenres.
- Use healthy vocal techniques.
- Demonstrate competency in musicianship, keyboarding and aural skills.
- Perform harmonies based on professional ensemble work.
- Identify historical and cultural dimensions of musical theatre, including the works of leading musical librettists, lyricists and composers.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication and professionalism.
- Demonstrate digital literacy skills that are aligned with the needs of contemporary performing artists.
We believe the best BFA music theatre programs offer students a well-rounded education, that’s why our curriculum was designed to immerse students in the art form. See the course details below: