Professional Certificate Program in Dance Theatre for Stage, Film and Television.
- Offered on the New York Campus
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 1.5 years
- Access to a Variety of Workshop and Performance Opportunities
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production in New York City
Program Description +−
The Dance Theatre Certificate Program is based upon the interwoven demands of Dance and Theatre, offering focused preparation for a career in theatrical dance performance. Building upon a solid foundation of classical technique, training will continue to expand the dancer’s repertoire with a palette of disciplines relevant to today’s theatrical productions. Students grow to perform choreography with accuracy and interpretive passion within ensemble and solo contexts. In addition to dance technique courses, the conservatory certificate program includes focused study in singing, musical theatre, and acting. In the final term, coursework is focused on industry and career preparation, including an original showcase production experience. Each showcase is crafted based on the unique and individual cast members assigned as a company. This specialized theatrical performance prepares dancers to enter the competitive performing arts industry with skill, confidence, and a professional work ethic.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the Dance Theatre Certificate program should be able to:
- Create compelling performance arcs demonstrating physical, vocal, and emotional specificity.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in ballet, jazz, modern, and a variety of movement styles and disciplines.
- Memorize and reproduce extended sequences of theatrical movement with respect to space, time, motion, and energy.
- Stand and move utilizing an aligned spine, free of unintended physical tension and mannerisms.
- Develop and apply safe physical practices and holistic self-care.
- Apply critical and interpretive analysis related to theatre, film, performance, and choreography.
- Demonstrate ability to positively and effectively apply adjustments as directed.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.
- Engage in a collaborative production process.