Los Angeles Orientation
Hello Fall 2019 Los Angeles Students,
We are so excited that you'll soon be moving in and beginning your professional training at AMDA! This Orientation page is designed to be your resource to ensure you have all the information and materials you will need to begin this term. Please read each section carefully, as you will find important details regarding move-in, registration and preparing for your classes.
LA Director of Admissions
New students must secure funding or make their first scheduled payment by August 1, 2019 to secure their enrollment for Fall 2019. Students who receive their award letter after August 1, 2019 may view their payment dates in the student portal. If there are any questions regarding this information please contact your Admissions Advisor or Financial Aid Counselor.
The following forms listed on the Orientation Checklist must be submitted by August 15, 2019 to complete your enrollment at AMDA. To ensure that you are up to date with required documents and tasks please contact your admissions advisor. You may contact your advisor directly or dial 800-367-7908 to speak with an AMDA Admissions Advisor.
Fall 2019 Welcome Weekend
Tuesday, October 8 – Sunday, October 13, 2019
Tuesday, October 8
Housing move-in for International and Dance Students.
Last name A-L: 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Last name M-Z: 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Wednesday, October 9
Move-in and check-in for Music Theatre students. Mandatory Orientation activities for Music Theatre and Dance students. Please do not make any other plans for these days.
Thursday, October 10
Move-in and check-in for Acting students. Mandatory Orientation activities for ALL programs. Please do not make any other plans for these days.
Friday, October 11 – Sunday, October 13
Mandatory Orientation activities for students. Please do not make any other plans for these days.
Monday, October 14
Orientation events are mandatory for students. Plan to arrive on your designated day and time so you don't miss out on any of the Orientation events and activities.
Parent sessions will occur on Wednesday, October 9 or Thursday, October 10, depending on the student's program.
Orientation Schedule of Events
- Please Note:
- Parents should not schedule activities with their students during the orientation week and weekend, beginning the first day move-in through Sunday evening.
- Above times are subject to change
Fall 2019 Required Assessment Exams
English Assessment Exam
All BFA Program Students [1st Term and 5th Term Certificate Alumni] are required to take this exam unless English Composition transferred credit has been approved. Deadline to complete exam is August 15, 2019.
Musicianship Assessment Exam
- This test is applicable only to [1st Term and 5th Term Certificate Alumni] students enrolling in the following programs (Deadline to complete exam is August 15, 2019):
- BFA Music Theatre
- BFA Performing Arts/Music Theatre
- AOS Musical Theatre
AMDA Student Portal
The student portal offers students valuable information such as class schedule, grades, financial aid info, forms and documents, etc. Please sign in to review your account.
AMDA Student Portal
Parent and Family Resources
This resource section is dedicated to supporting the interests of AMDA parents and families, and to promoting a sense of community for parents and families. We consider you a part of the AMDA family too, and we are eager to answer questions and provide information as your student makes the adjustment to higher education.
We encourage parents and families to familiarize themselves with the many resources at AMDA; the departments listed below will be more than happy to assist in answering your questions.
Simple and effective ways to support your student
- Stay in touch. Even if you only touch base once a week, it will help your student to know that you are available. Listen as your student tells you about the shows and performances they are seeing, the people they are meeting, and the classes that they are enjoying. Be understanding if they don't have as much time to talk as you wish they did; they will be extremely busy with their regular courses, rehearsals, and extracurricular work.
- Be proactive. Make plans for continued physical and mental health support. Continuity of care is very important; don't wait for a concern to escalate. Be certain your student has a copy of their health insurance card and identify nearby health resources.
- Empower and support. Help foster independence by encouraging independence. If your student comes to you with a concern, help him or her solve it by asking questions that will help him or her find a solution.
Dance Class Appearance
All students should be well groomed and maintain excellent hygiene. Students are expected to look their best for every class. Women with long hair are to have hair pulled back in a neat bun; hair should be slicked back or braided into a bun and secured with a hair net and bobby pins. Short hair should be pulled away from face. A simple thin headband may be used to pull bangs back. No jewelry is to be worn during class. The use of light street make-up is encouraged for women (lipstick, blush and mascara).
Forms + Documents
Financial Aid Forms + Info
Student Accounts Forms
Education Department Forms + Info