New York Orientation
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. -Tom Wolfe
This quote encapsulates not only becoming a part of New York, but of the AMDA family. We look forward to welcoming you for the Fall 2019 term and into our family. The Admissions Office wants to ensure you are well prepared for move-in, registration and orientation weekend. Please make sure to read through the orientation guide. If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact the admissions office. We are looking forward to seeing each and every one of you. We hope you come to love the city of New York as much as we do.
Director of Admissions
The following forms listed on the Orientation Checklist must be submitted by Monday, June 10, 2019 to complete your enrollment at AMDA. To ensure that you are up to date with required documents and tasks please contact your admissions advisor. You may contact your advisor directly or dial 800-367-7908 to speak with an AMDA Admissions Advisor.
Summer 2020 Welcome Weekend
Thursday, June 25 – Sunday, June 28, 2020
Student Housing Move In
Wednesday, June 24
LA Transfer / New York Experience and International Students Early Move In
Any time after 2pm
- Formal orientation activities and registration does not begin until Thursday. Please refer to the information below for registration details
- Student leadership will only be available to help move belongings into the buildings on official orientation move-in on Thursday but students are welcome to speak with AMDA's 24-hour front desk staff for any questions or support.
- An International Student Information Table will be available in the Stratford Arms for all international students to answer any questions
Thursday, June 25
Last name A-G: 8:00am
Last name H-P: 10:00am
Last name Q-Z: 12:00pm
Commuter students are welcome to check in immediately at registration (details below)
**It is suggested that students living on campus check into Housing before arriving for registration
Thursday, June 25: Registration for All Incoming and LA Transfer / New York Experience Students at 61st Street
Last name A-G: 9:00am
Last name H-P: 10:00am
Last name Q-Z: 1:00pm
Orientation Required Activities
Thursday, June 25 – Sunday, June 28
Integrated, Studio, Dance Theatre and LA Transfer / New York Experience Orientation activities
Monday, June 29
* Required Orientation activities for students only. Please do not make any other plans for these days.
- Optional Q&A for Parents is scheduled on the Thursday of orientation
- Parent Programming concludes Thursday evening of orientation
- Please Note:
- All students must move in on designated days only. Occupancy outside of the designated period will result in a $100 nightly charge to the resident's account.
- Parents should not schedule activities with their student during the orientation week and weekend, beginning the first day of move in through Sunday evening.
- Above times are subject to change.
Summer 2020: Required Enrollment Information
Integrated: Voice and Sight-Singing Assessment
This assessment will be used by our Voice and Sight Singing Departments to place you with an individual voice instructor that best meets your background and experience during Orientation and place you in the appropriate level of Sight Singing. Deadline to complete the assessment is May 25, 2020.
Studio: Elective Selection
This form will be used to determine registration for available electives. Deadline to complete the form is May 25, 2020.
AMDA Student Portal
The student portal offers students valuable information such as class schedule, grades, financial aid info, forms and documents, etc. Please sign in to review your account.
Parent and Family Resources
This resource section is dedicated to supporting the interests of AMDA parents and families, and to promoting a sense of community for parents and families. We consider you a part of the AMDA family too, and we are eager to answer questions and provide information as your student makes the adjustment to higher education.
We encourage parents and families to familiarize themselves with the many resources at AMDA; the departments listed below will be more than happy to assist in answering your questions.
OFF TO AMDA: A GUIDE FOR PARENTS, GUARDIANS AND FAMILIES:
Forms + Documents
Education Dept Forms + Info
Financial Aid Forms
Housing License Agreements
Dance Class Appearance
All students should be well groomed and maintain excellent hygiene. Students are expected to look their best for every class. Women with long hair are to have hair pulled back in a neat bun; hair should be slicked back or braided into a bun and secured with a hair net and bobby pins. Short hair should be pulled away from face. A simple thin headband may be used to pull bangs back. No jewelry is to be worn during class. The use of light street make-up is encouraged for women (lipstick, blush and mascara).