New York Orientation
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. -Tom Wolfe
This quote encapsulates not only becoming a part of New York, but of the AMDA family. We look forward to welcoming you for the Fall 2018 term and into our family. The Admissions Office wants to ensure you are well prepared for move-in, registration and orientation weekend. Please make sure to read through the orientation guide. If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact the admissions office. We are looking forward to seeing each and every one of you. We hope you come to love the city of New York as much as we do.
Director of Admissions
The following forms listed on the Orientation Checklist must be submitted by Monday, September 10, 2018 to complete your enrollment at AMDA. To ensure that you are up to date with required documents and tasks please contact your admissions advisor. You may contact your advisor directly or dial 800-367-7908 to speak with an AMDA Admissions Advisor.
Spring 2019 Welcome Weekend
Thursday, February 14 – Sunday, February 17, 2019
Student Housing Move In
Wednesday, February 13
LA Transfer / NY Experience and International Students Early Move In
Anytime after 2pm
- Formal orientation activities and registration does not begin until Thursday.
- Student leadership will only be available to help move belongings into the buildings on official orientation move-in on Thursday but students are welcome to speak with AMDA's 24 hour front desk staff for any questions or support.
Thursday, February 14
All Incoming Students
Last name A-G: 8:00 am
Last name H-P: 10:00 am
Last name Q-Z: 12:00 pm
Commuter students are welcome to check in immediately at registration (details below)
**It is suggested that students living on campus check into Housing before arriving for registration
Thursday, February 14: Registration for All Incoming Students at 61st Street
Last name A-G: 9:00 am
Last name H-P: 10:00 am
Last name Q-Z: 1:00 pm
Orientation Required Activities
Thursday, February 14 - Sunday, February 17, 2019
Integrated, Studio, Dance Theatre, and NY Experience / LA Transfer Orientation activities
Monday, February 18
* Required Orientation activities for students only. Please do not make any other plans for these days.
- International Students and their families are welcome to join us for a reception at the Stratford Arms on Wednesday, February 13, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm.
- Optional Q&A for Parents only is scheduled on Thursday of orientation.
- Please Note:
- All students must move in on designated days only. Occupancy outside of the designated period will result in a $50 nightly charge to the resident's account.
- Parents should not schedule activities with their student during the orientation weekend beginning the first day of move in through Sunday evening.
- Above times are subject to change.
Spring 2018 Required Assessment Exams
Musicianship and Sight-Singing Assessment Exam
This test is designed to help us place you into the appropriate musicianship/sight-singing class and applicable only to Integrated students. Deadline to complete exam is January 14, 2019.
Voice Sheet Form
This assessment will be used by our Voice Department to place you with an individual voice instructor that best meets your background and experience during Orientation.
AMDA Student Portal
The student portal offers students valuable information such as class schedule, grades, financial aid info, forms and documents, etc. Please sign in to review your account.
Forms + Documents
Education Dept Forms + Info
Financial Aid Forms
Housing License Agreements
Dance Class Appearance
All students should be well groomed and maintain excellent hygiene. Students are expected to look their best for every class. Women with long hair are to have hair pulled back in a neat bun; hair should be slicked back or braided into a bun and secured with a hair net and bobby pins. Short hair should be pulled away from face. A simple thin headband may be used to pull bangs back. No jewelry is to be worn during class. The use of light street make-up is encouraged for women (lipstick, blush and mascara).