Program Dates + Costs
Why choose AMDA?
- AMDA is an unparalleled performing arts institution devoted to training the actor, singer, and dancer for stage, television, and film
- Over 50 years as an industry leader in performing arts education
- Choose New York City, Los Angeles, or both
- A faculty of working professionals acting as mentors
- AMDA's education spans the major performing arts disciplines of Acting, Music Theatre and Dance Theatre
- 30 to 35 hours of weekly coursework, plus additional time for rehearsal and preparation
- Over 30 opportunities to build a performance resume in each semester
- Audition prep: class hours shift to the evening in the final semester to allow for professional auditions during the day
- Students build network connections while at school through exposure to industry professionals
- A strong alumni community
Start Dates For AMDA Conservatory And B.F.A. Programs
- 2017 Fall: October 16, 2017
- 2018 Spring: February 19, 2018
- 2018 Summer: June 25, 2018
- 2018 Fall: October 15, 2018
- 2019 Spring: February 18, 2019
- 2019 Summer: June 24, 2019
Two-Year Conservatory Program
- There are two terms of study in each academic year of the Two-Year Conservatory Programs and it takes four terms to complete the program.
Four-Year B.F.A. Program
- There are two semesters of study in each academic year of the Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) Programs and it takes eight semesters to complete the program.
AMDA’s programs all run on a three term/three semester structure in each calendar year: Fall, Spring, and Summer. The Conservatory and Bachelor of Fine Arts programs have an option where a student can choose to enroll in an Accelerated Track by completing all of the terms/semesters consecutively, without taking time off. There is a minimum of one week off between each term/semester.
Conservatory Program Accelerated Track
- A student who chooses an Accelerated Track for a conservatory program will complete the program in 16 months. The Traditional Track for the two-year Conservatory program would normally be 20 months.
B.F.A. Program Accelerated Track
- A student who chooses an Accelerated Track for a B.F.A. program will complete the program in 32 months. The Traditional Track for the four-year B.F.A. program would normally be 44 months.
Accelerating study at AMDA allows a student to save time and money, and enter the workforce ahead of their peers who attend a traditional track of study.
Tuition and Housing Costs
The following is the direct cost of education for one academic year (two terms in a Conservatory Program or two semesters in a B.F.A. Program). The tuition for each academic year is the same for Conservatory and B.F.A. students.
The housing costs listed here are for students planning to live in AMDA's Student Housing. Students who choose to secure housing on their own should expect costs to be higher than those listed here. Residential students live at one of the AMDA Housing locations.
95% of AMDA students receive institutional support in the form of scholarships and/or grants. Learn more about financial aid.
Below are the 2017–2018 costs for The American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York and the AMDA College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts in Los Angeles
Two-Year Conservatory and B.F.A. Programs:
Direct Costs (cost paid directly to AMDA)
Indirect Costs (cost that does not appear on your bill)
* Off campus housing estimate
- BFA Acting and BFA Performing Arts Acting
Cost per credit: $1,195.81 (31 credits/year)
- BFA Dance Theatre and BFA Performing Arts Dance Theatre
Cost per credit: $1,158.44 (32 credits/year)
- BFA Music Theatre and BFA Performing Arts Music Theatre
Cost per credit: $1,195.81 (31 credits/year)
AMDA tuition increases approximately 2.5% for each consecutive year of study.
Student Health Insurance Plan 2017-2018
The welfare of our students is essential to our vibrant performing arts community. Per the Affordable Care Act, all enrolled students on either campus must have both mental and physical health insurance at all times while attending AMDA. To assist students with this requirement, AMDA automatically enrolls each student in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), an affordable service that offers students access to mental and physical healthcare services throughout New York City and Los Angeles. SHIP provides vital resources to ensure AMDA students are healthy in body and mind for continued success in their education. To waive out of SHIP, you must provide proof of comparable health insurance that meets the coverage requirements of the Affordable Care Act by the Friday of the first week of each term/semester.
Costs for NYC students are $1,660 for two terms/semesters of study.
Costs for LA students are $1,100 for two terms/semesters of study.