Professional, career-based Degree in Dance for Stage, Film, and Television.
- Offered on the Los Angeles Campus
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 1.5 years
- Access to a Variety of Workshop and Performance Opportunities
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production in Los Angeles
Program Description +−
The AOS Dance Theatre Degree Program embraces interdisciplinary artistic development with an emphasis on communication and storytelling through kinetic expression. Course work builds upon classical technique foundations in ballet, jazz, and modern with explorations of contemporary, commercial, and cultural dance styles such as hip-hop, contemporary, jazz/funk, Broadway, heels, contemporary, Latin fusion, and many others. Additional courses provide opportunity for practical applications of theory, choreography, and acting and dance for the camera. Dance productions and other theatrical performance opportunities expose students to a wide range of choreographers and choreographic processes. Supplemental course work in scene study and musical theatre contribute to this uniquely demanding program. AOS Dance Theatre students, as part of their program completion and career launch strategy, will also perform in a special culminating showcase.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the AOS Dance Theatre program should be able to:
- Create compelling performance arcs demonstrating physical, vocal, and emotional specificity.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in ballet, jazz, modern, and a variety of movement styles and disciplines.
- Memorize and reproduce extended sequences of theatrical movement with respect to space, time, motion, and energy.
- Stand and move utilizing an aligned spine, free of unintended physical tension and mannerisms.
- Develop and apply safe physical practices and holistic self-care.
- Apply critical and interpretive analysis related to theatre, film, performance, and choreography.
- Demonstrate ability to positively and effectively apply adjustments as directed.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.
- Engage in a collaborative production process.