Program Description +−
The Dance Theatre and Content Creation program is designed for students seeking to master dance performance skills and technique while also creating original works for theatre, film, television or social media platforms. Throughout the program, students collaborate with artists from multiple disciplines and backgrounds. This community-building approach helps build an environment rich with diverse, global perspectives that inspire creativity and learning. In preparation for careers such as performers, content creators, producers and choreographers, students develop an entrepreneurial mindset, advanced collaboration skills and an acute understanding of contemporary media. The rich breadth of this program prepares students to compete within the ever-changing demands of the entertainment industry.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the BFA Performing Arts: Dance Theatre & Content Creation program should be able to:
- Create convincing, compelling characters performed with vocal, physical and emotional specificity.
- Demonstrate broad-based development in the performing arts, including critical thinking skills, advanced-level performance skills and an individual sense of creativity.
- Work effectively in groups to create theatrical moments or events and solve production challenges.
- Demonstrate, across the various subfields, skills in personal discipline (organization, focus, energy, commitment) effectively applied to theatrical problem-solving and the creation of theatrical moments and events.
- Formulate constructive critical responses to theatrical products.
- Demonstrate comprehension and application of make-up techniques and materials.
- Apply business practices to the promotion and maintenance of career opportunities within the performing arts and performing arts–adjacent industries.
- Compare different theatrical forms, aesthetic values or cultural contexts to expand their skill sets and deepen their understanding of theatrical possibilities.
- Demonstrate the ability to cultivate an idea from concept to production-ready, finished product.
- Engage in a collaborative production process using standard entertainment industry practices as applied to preparation, communication and professionalism.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of the construction of media, the factors and participants in its negotiated meaning, the various aesthetic forms of media, and its commercial, social and political implications.
- Demonstrate a strategic approach to content development, innovation and delivery in the performing arts.