Undergraduate Degree in Performing Arts with a concentration in Dance Theatre and Creative Content Development.
- Offered on the Los Angeles Campus (See Dance Theatre Certificate to BFA for NY Campus Option)
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 2.5 years
- Access to AMDA’s Mainstage Production Opportunities
- Create, Produce, or Perform in Original Works Through AMDA’s Artists’ Lab
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production
Program Description +−
The BFA Performing Arts (Dance Theatre & Creative Content Development) Degree Program is designed for intermediate to advanced dance artists seeking to enhance performance skills while developing original works tailored to an individual’s performance passion. Intensive dance theatre performance training is blended with academic studies designed for today’s multi-disciplinary movement artists. Productions and performances enhance the program’s offerings and provide opportunities for bringing artistic projects to life. Throughout the program students engage and collaborate with artists from multiple disciplines and backgrounds. This community-building approach creates an environment rich with diverse, global perspectives that inspire creativity and learning. In preparation for careers such as performers, choreographers, content creators, directors, and producers, students develop an entrepreneurial mindset, advanced collaboration skills, and an acute understanding of contemporary media literacy. The rich breadth of this program prepares students to compete within the ever-changing demands of the entertainment industry.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the BFA Performing Arts (Dance Theatre & Creative Content Development) program should be able to:
- Demonstrate well-rounded development in the performing arts, including critical thinking skills, advanced-level skills in performing arts, and enhanced creativity.
- Work effectively in groups to create theatrical moments or events and solve production problems.
- Demonstrate, across the various sub-fields, skills in personal discipline (organization, focus, energy, commitment), effectively applied to theatrical problem-solving and the creation of theatrical moments and events.
- Formulate constructive critical responses to theatrical phenomenon.
- Demonstrate comprehension and application of make-up techniques and materials.
- Apply business practices to the promotion and maintenance of a sustainable career within the performing arts and performing arts adjacent industries.
- Understand and apply multiple theories of seeing, making, and practicing dance theatre in creative performance.
- Apply the principles of dance training, choreography, and dance performance.
- Demonstrate the ability to cultivate an idea from concept to production-ready, finished product.
- Engage in a collaborative production process by applying standard entertainment industry practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.
- Demonstrate an understanding of breadth of the concept of the construction of media, the factors and participants in its negotiated meaning, the various aesthetic forms of media, and its commercial, social, and political implications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of strategic approaches to content development, innovation, and delivery in the performing arts.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply the essential business practices that are needed to bring creative projects to fruition.