AMDA Community News: Campus Program Dates, Public Health Updates, Virtual Open Houses
Click here for more information about classes, performances, auditions, and open houses.
High School Summer Conservatory
The High School Summer Conservatory at AMDA is an immersive program that provides extraordinary performing arts training for passionate artists. This program offers cutting-edge learning opportunities that are uniquely personal and specifically designed for today’s emerging performing artists.
Students Choose from Five Dynamic Disciplines:
- Musical Theatre
- Acting for TV & Film
- Acting for Stage
- Dance Theatre
- Pop Star: Recording Artist
Training is created and delivered by members of AMDA’s world-class faculty from our New York City and Hollywood campuses, so students begin to build their artist networks in both entertainment capitals of the world. Students also have access to direct learning opportunities from AMDA Alumni currently on Broadway & national touring shows.
PROGRAM DATES & SCHEDULE
The High School Summer Conservatory is offered as a two-week summer intensive. Please note that discipline offerings may vary by session and campus.
SUMMER INTENSIVE (2 WEEK)
Program Dates Discipline Availability Campus Session 1: June 20 - July 3 Musical Theatre, Acting, Dance LA only Session 2: July 4 - July 17 Musical Theatre, Acting*, Dance LA & NY Session 3: July 18 - July 31 Musical Theatre, Acting*, Dance, Pop LA & NY Session 4: Aug. 1 - Aug. 14 Musical Theatre, Acting*, Dance LA & NY
*Acting Sessions 2,3 & 4 in NY have two options:
Acting for TV & Film and Acting for Stage.
Life at the Summer Conservatory +−
At AMDA Hollywood or AMDA New York, your days will be filled with dynamic performing arts classes and your nights spent in rehearsals. Finally, your new skills and hard work will culminate in a Final Performance production in front of friends, family and the AMDA community.
Snapshot of your day
Each session offers specialized courses, rehearsals, and performances. Students also have the opportunity to experience the vibrance of New York City or Hollywood by going on exciting field trips, attending professional shows, and enjoying social events with your fellow performers, all while getting a preview of college life at AMDA.
At the conclusion of the program, all students perform in a Final Performance production, which is filmed by a professional camera crew. All families receive a digital copy of student performances, free of charge.
SUMMER INTENSIVE SCHEDULE OVERVIEW +−
MEETING DAYS:Sunday - Saturday (14 days consecutively)
Student Engagement Time 9 hours live in class per day 3 hours meal time per day 1-3 hours of social time/activities per day* 1-3 hours of performances during term**
*Dependent on campus, activity and schedule.
**Dependent on final performance length and
participation in other performance opportunities.
SUMMER INTENSIVE SCHEDULE BY PROGRAM +−
Eligibility and Requirements
- Our programs are open to all talented high school students who are currently completing grades 8-12 and 14-19 years old at time of enrollment. High School graduation date should be no earlier than 2021.
- Students should have reliable access to high-speed internet and a screen device (laptop/desktop, smart phone, and/or tablet) that can stream and record video for live online class meetings.
- A space to rehearse/record class assignments. This could be anywhere in your home where you can easily focus and safely perform
- This program can be completed from wherever you are in the world!
Application and Enrollment Process
SUBMIT YOUR HIGH SCHOOL SUMMER CONSERVATORY APPLICATION +−Complete the application by clicking Apply Now. If you have any questions prior to filling out the application, you are welcome to fill out the Request Information form. The Request Information form does not qualify as an Application and a student will only move forward to be reviewed once the Application is completed.
SCHEDULE INTERVIEW +−Once the application is complete, you will receive a link to select a date and time for your interview. The interview is meant to better get to know the student behind the application and takes 10-15 minutes to complete.
GET ACCEPTED +−
Once the application and interview are reviewed, the student will be notified if they are accepted into the program. Parents will receive a phone call to discuss details, policies, and answer questions.
SUBMIT DEPOSIT +−
If accepted, you will receive an email and phone call to review program details. Your deposit will be due at this time. If you, the Parent, have received this phone call and email, you can deposit here:Submit Deposit
ACCESS STUDENT PORTAL +−
Once accepted, parents will receive a phone call to discuss details and an email will be sent out with the student portal access information. If you have not received that email after your call, feel free to contact us at HighSchool@amda.edu . If you have received that email, you may access your student portal here.Student Portal
SUBMIT PLACEMENT VIDEO +−
Submit your placement video within two weeks of receiving your acceptance email to be considered for partial, merit-based scholarships.Placement Video
SUBMIT FORMS +−
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE +−
If interested in scholarships, discounts and grants, please submit a placement video, and complete this financial assistance form. Once decisions have been made, you will receive notice in your student portal.Financial Assistance form
Attending Students +−
For all deposited students, please click below for further instructions on checklists, travel details, etc.Attending Students
- Talent-Based Scholarships
- Returning Student Grants
- Partial Financial Assistance Grants
- $200 Holiday Discount from Dec. 1st to Dec. 31st
- $350 Early Bird Discount through December 31st
- $100 Refer a Friend Award
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are the High School Summer Conservatory programs held? +−
Our programs are held on both AMDA campuses, in NYC and LA. Students can choose to apply for either campus, or both!
2021 High School Summer Conservatory Session Dates +−
- Session 1: June 20 - July 3 (LA ONLY)
- Session 2: July 4 - July 17 (NYC AND LA)
- Session 3: July 18 - July 31 (NYC AND LA)
- Session 4: August 1 - August 14 (NYC ONLY)
Who is eligible to attend the High School Summer Conservatory? +−
Our programs are open to all talented high school students completing grades 8-12 during the 2020/2021 school year, aged 14-19 years old at time of enrollment.
What is a typical day like? +−
- Morning classes in your chosen performing arts focus (Acting, Musical Theatre, Dance, Pop Star) with emphasis breakout sessions in your major.
- Rehearsals for your Final Performance
- Performing Arts Experience classes, selected to compliment your background, focus and interests.
- Students enjoy free time after lunch and in the evenings. Many students choose to rehearse, visit AMDA's incredible libraries, or relax in the dorms during free time.
What kind of activities do students enjoy? +−
There are planned field trips that could include attending a Broadway show and/or visiting tourist sites in NYC and LA. Students are not otherwise permitted to leave campus un-chaperoned.
Will there be performances? +−
- Yes! Students will participate in a number of performances suited to their particular major.
- There will be a small café performance called Summer Grooves, for which students can audition. Summer Grooves provides an intimate venue for students and faculty to experience the performances of their fellow High School Summer Conservatory students.
- Each session culminates in a Final Performance that includes production elements from each major. Parents are absolutely welcome to attend the Final Performance to experience these exhilarating showcases of student talent!
Will I have the opportunity to audition for the college? +−
Yes! All eligible students who participate in the High School Summer Conservatory at AMDA will have the opportunity to audition for the college during the programs.
Are scholarships available? Please note that this is for accepted students only. +−
- Partial merit-based scholarships are available on a limited basis.
- All accepted students are required to submit a placement video, so we can prepare to meet students at their respective levels. All students are considered for scholarships based on their performances in these placement videos.
Is financial assistance available? Please note that this is for accepted students only. +−
- Partial, need-based financial assistance grants are available on a limited basis.
- To be considered, please complete the AMDA Summer Financial Assistance Eligibility Requirements form.
- Payment plans are available upon request.
What security and safety precautions are taken during the program? +−
- In both NYC and LA, campuses are accessible only with a valid AMDA identification card, which High School Summer Conservatory students receive.
- Supervision is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. When students are not in class with our world-class faculty, they are supervised by members of our trained AMDA staff.
- Students leave campus only for planned and chaperoned outings, which may include going to a Broadway show or visiting NYC and LA tourist destinations.
Where will I be living? +−
In both NYC and LA, students live in safe and secure dormitories that are designated exclusively to High School Summer Conservatory students.
Is there a meal plan? +−
- All students are required to purchase the meal plan, which includes three delicious and nutritious meals per day. Snacks are also provided.
- Most dietary needs can be accommodated and must be noted on your online application.
Once I have completed the enrollment process, what should I do next? +−
Your instructors will reach out to you as we get closer to the start date of the programs with further details. If you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to contact us at HighSchool@amda.edu.
Do I receive credits for attending the High School Summer Conservatory? +−
This is not an accredited program, so you will not receive college credit. You will receive a certificate upon completion of the program.
Do we receive grades/evaluations for the program? +−
High School Summer Conservatory is an experiential program that provides students the opportunity to work with AMDA’s world class faculty and staff while getting a glimpse inside of a performing arts college/conservatory. Although there are not grades/evaluations, your instructors will be giving you personalized feedback throughout the entirety of the program.
What are the main differences between the in-person and virtual programs? +−
- The students attending the in-person programs will have culturally immersive activities that they will be privy to, such as shows, excursions, etc.
- Without the culturally immersive activities, virtual students are given more opportunities for networking and artistic growth, due to the unique interactions available, the focus of the program and access to individualized instruction.
- In addition to tuition, the in-person program costs include entertainment and meal plans, with housing being optional.
HOW DO I SET UP MY STUDENT PORTAL? +−
- Open your web browser (Edge, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome) and visit portal.amda.edu
- From the Login dropdown, click Student Portal Homepage, then click Create a New Account.
- Select the button for Student ID and enter your Student's ID. **Please do not use the social security number option, as it will not allow you to log into our system.**
- Fill out the security questions ("City or Town of Birth" and "Your Mother's Maiden Name"). Our system will use these questions to verify your identity if you need to reset your password!
- Click Next and verify the Student's email address by clicking "Yes". You will need to log into that email later to click the verification link AMDA sends you after creating your username and password. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to update the email that was used on your application.
- Enter a username and password of your own choosing, then click Submit. The verification link will then be sent to the email from the previous step. Click the link in the email to bring you back to AMDA's Login form. Contact email@example.com if you do not receive the email.
- Once your account is created and verified, log into your AMDA Student Portal with your new username and password
*Instructions are available on how to locate your account information in your student portal.
HOW DO I LOCATE MY STUDENT PORTAL? +−
The Student Portal is an important tool for both students and parents to access the financial details of our program. From the Portal, you'll be able to view your current outstanding balance, any scholarship and/or financial assistance you have received, and any payments you have made towards the program. We have provided the Portal as a 24/7 access to the student's financial information that you can check from home. Please make sure to regularly check the Portal for updated financial information, as we do not send e-mail updates when an additional item has been posted.
To view your financial breakdown for the High School Virtual Conservatory, simply proceed to the My Account tab. Click on the Account Information sub-tab, and view your information under the Account Details button. You should then be able to view your details, as shown in the example below.
*Instructions are available on how to set up your student portalAMDA Student Portal
Deposit now to save your place in the 2021 High School Summer Conservatory.Deposit Now