June 19, 2023 - Announcements
Dear AMDA Community,
Last year AMDA proudly added Juneteenth as an official holiday to our campus calendar and we look forward to expanding on ways to observe and recognize this important day for many years to come.
We view June 19, 2023 as a day that provides us with a much needed opportunity for thoughtful reflection on the long struggle Black Americans face in this country, both past and present. Establishing Juneteenth into our academic calendar here at AMDA has been one of many steps we’ve taken to actively demonstrate our ongoing commitment to an inclusive and welcoming campus community.
AMDA is an artistic creative community, and at our core we have always believed in creating an environment that is progressive and inclusive while embracing positive change. We invite you all to join us in recognizing the importance of Juneteenth each and every year.
You can find additional information on Juneteenth and ideas for celebrations by visiting https://www.juneteenth.com/how-to-celebrate/.
Here are some other ways you can get involved this Juneteenth:
- Explore Black American history through podcasts, videos, books, and theater productions.
- Engage with Juneteenth NY at https://www.juneteenthny.com/.
- Register and exercise your right to vote or volunteer for voter registration.
- Support local, Black-owned businesses.
- Educate yourself! Visit museums and libraries that specialize in Black history, such as the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture.
Let us continue to learn, reflect and advocate as we commemorate Freedom Day.
The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion