Undergraduate Degree for training across ALL performing arts disciplines with a concentration in Dance Theatre.
- Offered on the Los Angeles Campus (See Dance Theatre Certificate to BFA for NY Campus Option)
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 2.5 years
- Access to AMDA’s Mainstage Production Opportunities
- Culminates in an Original Showcase Production
Program Description +−
The BFA Performing Arts (Dance Theatre) Degree Program is designed for dance and movement artists of all genres and backgrounds. This innovative program is steeped in physical theatre practices and theatrical and commercial dance styles. This eight-semester program prepares dance and movement artists for diverse career paths within the performing arts. This program provides for total immersion in current dance practices. Dance style explorations include hip-hop, jazz/funk, contemporary, theatre dance, and world dance styles. Supportive courses in ballet, jazz, and tap provide for movement versatility and adaptability. Additional courses in acting, singing technique, kinetic storytelling, and original content creation help cultivate interdisciplinary performance skills that allow for expanded modes of expression and career trajectories. The final semester includes an original showcase opportunity that provides a unique production experience built upon the strengths of each multi-disciplined performer. Students also have the opportunity to audition for AMDA’s Spotlight Industry Event, where students in their final semester present audition material to agents, managers, and industry representatives.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Performing Arts: Dance Theatre program should be able to:
- Demonstrate well-rounded development in the performing arts, including critical thinking skills, advanced-level skills in performing arts, and enhanced creativity.
- Work effectively in groups to create theatrical moments or events and solve production problems.
- Demonstrate, across the various sub-fields, skills in personal discipline (organization, focus, energy, commitment), effectively applied to theatrical problem-solving and the creation of theatrical moments and events.
- Formulate constructive critical responses to theatrical phenomenon.
- Demonstrate comprehension and application of make-up techniques and materials.
- Apply business practices to the promotion and maintenance of a sustainable career within the performing arts and performing arts adjacent industries.
- Demonstrate well-rounded development in dance theatre, including advanced-level skills and enhanced creativity.
- Apply the principles of dance training, choreography, and dance performance.
- Understand and apply multiple theories of seeing, making, and practicing dance theatre in creative performance.
- Work effectively in groups to co-create through collaboration, experimentation, and improvisation.