Combine the NY Dance Theatre Certificate Program with the LA Degree Program to create a unique bi-coastal Degree track.
- 4 Semesters on the New York Campus and 4 Semesters on the Los Angeles Campus
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 2.5 years
- Access to a Variety of Workshop and Performance Opportunities (NY/LA)
- Access to AMDA’s Mainstage Production Opportunities (LA)
- Culminates in Original Showcase Productions in New York City and Los Angeles
Program Description +−
The Dance Theatre Certificate to BFA Program begins at AMDA’s NY Campus where a strong foundation of ballet, jazz, and tap dance technique is developed to connect mind and body with each individual’s own creative and imaginative resources. Training is designed to expand the dancer’s repertoire with a palette of disciplines relevant to today’s theatrical productions. In addition to dance technique courses, this program provides focused study in singing, musical theatre, and acting. Experience an introductory level of General Education courses designed to complement AMDA's performance training. This portion of this program culminates in an original showcase experience
Performance training in the final four semesters of the BFA in Dance Theatre expands to include contemporary, hip-hop, jazz-funk, heels, and world dance styles. By working with some of the industry’s most sought after choreographers, dancers blend enhanced levels of choreographic precision with insightful storytelling skills. Additionally, there are a myriad of production opportunities for which students may audition. General Education courses provide for an even broader range of topics, continuing to deepen an artist’s understanding of the world while refining the ability to reason and communicate. Special attention is paid to the use of digital media for performing artists, access to visiting industry professionals and a final showcase performance.
Note: By completing the NY Certificate Program, students earn 60 credits towards the 120 credits needed to fulfill the Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. Students on this track will seamlessly transition from the NY Campus into the remaining four semesters at AMDA’s LA Campus to complete a BFA Degree.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the Dance Theatre Certificate to BFA program should be able to:
- Create compelling performance arcs demonstrating physical, vocal, and emotional specificity.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in ballet, jazz, modern, and a variety of movement styles and disciplines.
- Memorize and reproduce extended sequences of theatrical movement with respect to space, time, motion, and energy.
- Stand and move utilizing an aligned spine, free of unintended physical tension and mannerisms.
- Develop and apply safe physical practices and holistic self-care.
- Apply critical and interpretive analysis related to theatre, film, performance, and choreography.
- Demonstrate ability to positively and effectively apply adjustments as directed.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.
- Engage in a collaborative production process.