Combine the NY Integrated Certificate Program with the LA BFA Music Theatre Degree Program to create a unique bi-coastal Degree track.
- 4 Semesters on the New York Campus and 4 Semesters on the Los Angeles Campus
- Accelerated Option Allows for Degree Completion in 2.5 years
- Access to a Variety of Workshop and Performance Opportunities (NY/LA)
- Access to AMDA’s Mainstage Production Opportunities (LA)
- Culminates in Original Showcase Productions in New York City and Los Angeles
Program Description +−
The Integrated Certificate to BFA Program begins at AMDA’s NY Campus where a strong foundation in vocal technique, acting, and dance is developed to connect mind and body with each individual’s own creative and imaginative resources. Musical Theatre emphasis includes understanding and interpreting lyrics, musical accuracy, and physically engaged storytelling to create fully realized performances. Throughout the program, individual voice training helps support the breadth of courses provided each term. Experience an introductory level of General Education courses designed to complement AMDA's performance training. This portion of the program culminates in an original showcase experience.
The BFA Degree Program’s final four semesters at the LA Campus provides for vocal explorations beyond traditional Musical Theatre into contemporary vocal styles (Pop, Country, R&B), songwriting, classical voice, instrumental music, composition, music theory, and recording and producing. Additionally, there are a myriad of production opportunities for which students may audition. General Education courses provide for an even broader range of topics, continuing to deepen an actor’s understanding of the world while refining the ability to reason and communicate. Special attention is paid to the use of digital media for performing artists, providing access to visiting industry professionals and a final showcase performance.
Note: By completing the NY Certificate Program, students earn 60 credits towards the 120 credits needed to fulfill the Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. Students on this track will seamlessly transition from the NY Campus into the remaining four semesters at AMDA’s LA Campus to complete a BFA Degree.
Program Learning Outcomes +−
Students completing the Integrated Certificate to BFA program should be able to:
- Create convincing, compelling characters performed with vocal, physical, and emotional specificity.
- Perform a variety of musical styles with a synthesis of acting, singing, and movement skills.
- Present a professional audition music portfolio, containing historical and contemporary styles, and a variety of music theatre sub-genres.
- Utilize healthy vocal techniques.
- Demonstrate competency in musicianship, keyboarding, and aural skills.
- Perform harmonies based on professional ensemble work.
- Identify historical and cultural dimensions of music theatre, including the works of leading musical librettists, lyricists, and composers.
- Apply standard entertainment industry business practices regarding preparation, communication, and professionalism.
- Engage in a collaborative production process.